Saturday, September 12, 2020

Parable

 

We have always been on the cautious side, when it comes to risk. I drive the speed limit. I try to stay out of crowded places.

The children have no concept of risk. Even four teens, only the one who is almost nineteen has any idea. The others, they just don't get it.

It reminds me of a parable that I've been telling. This tells a little about what we've been going through, even though we have teens, whereas the story is about a one-year-old.

A couple has a young boy who always, the minute he's outside, makes a bee-line for the street. Several times they catch him right before he gets to the busy road, and he's almost hit by oncoming cars. They are exasperated. It's almost every time that he just lights out for the road.

But there isn't much they can do. They hear about leashes for kids, and the wife says, "I'd never put my kid in a leash." To her, that's treating your kid like a dog, and she can't do it. So they do nothing. They watch carefully every time they open the door. Sometimes they almost don't catch him in time.

As time goes by they become steadily more exasperated. What can be done? Finally the leash begins to look like a good idea, and they do it. It's a relief, to open the door, and not have to chase after him. They feel a little self-conscious out in public, but at least it works.

One day a woman says to the wife, "I would never put my kid on a leash." She responds, "Well, you never had a kid who ran out in the street, did you?"

No comments:

Post a Comment